[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.1a3 also available for classic PPC

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:15:31 -0800

Just tried it and it works a lot better for me than the previous
2.1a3. ConfigurePython built the necessary applets.

I am a bit surprised to have three similar files:
- PythonInterpreter
- PythonInterpreterCarbon
- PythonInterpreterClassic
all in the main python folder.

I still can't get Tkinter to load. It is recognized as a module, but
_tkinter is not found (shades of the past):

>>>  import Tkinter
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "russmain:python 2.1a3:lib:lib-tk:Tkinter.py", line 35, in ?
     import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter

I looked through my Python 2.1a3 folder and found two different files
called _tkinter.ppc.slb:
:Mac:PlugIns:_tkinter.ppc.slb 1.6Mb last modified 2/28/01
:Extensions:Imaging:PIL:_tkinter.ppc.slb 1.2Mb last modified 1/11/00
presumably the former is the right one, but I'm not sure where to
move it so that it will be found.

All of my own non-Tk code I've tried to test works. The standard
tests showed results that looked normal to me:
98 tests OK.
2 tests failed: test_longexp test_zlib
28 tests skipped: test_al test_bsddb test_cd test_cl test_crypt
test_dbm test_dl test_fcntl test_fork1 test_gc test_gl test_grp
test_imgfile test_largefile test_linuxaudiodev test_mmap test_nis
test_openpty test_poll test_popen2 test_pty test_pwd test_signal
test_sunaudiodev test_sundry test_timing test_winreg test_winsound

Well done!

-- Russell