[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.1a3 also available for classic PPC

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 08:53:42 -0800

>Recently, Russell E Owen <owen@astro.washington.edu> said:
>>  I am a bit surprised to have three similar files:
>>  - PythonInterpreter
>>  - PythonInterpreterCarbon
>>  - PythonInterpreterClassic
>>  all in the main python folder.
>
>Yes, it's a bit of a nuisance. PythonInterpreter is a copy of either
>of the other two (ConfigurePythonXXX does the copying).
>
>I could probably try hiding the the other two, by giving them a
>different extension and putting them in a different place, although
>I'm not quite sure about what would be a good place. Any ideas?

Here's one idea: make PythonInterpreter an alias instead of a copy;
that makes it clearer what's going on, as one can resolve the alias
to find out which interpreter is being used. Then you could put both
of the specific interpreters elsewhere (e.g. in the Mac folder) or
just leave them where they are.

Regarding Tk:

I tested Tk in the classic environment and it seems to mostly work.
The two problems I found were:
- I cannot quit a Tk application -- after cmd-Q the output window
comes to the front and shows <<terminated>>, as usual, but at that
point I'm stuck until I do a force exit. I don't see this behavior in
MacPython 2.0, and I have verified that both interpreters are using
the same startup options.
- File events are broken, as in MacPython 2.0.

Do you have any idea what is involved in getting Tkinter to run under
Carbon? I am willing to do some work on it.

Meanwhile, yes it would be great if we had a better error message.
Simply putting it in the ReadMe would be a reasonable second choice
(many folks would see it, others would email this list).

Finally, just out of curiosity, I notice that there is only one IDE.
Is it somehow using the current PythonInterpreter or does it only run
under classic or...?

-- Russell