[Pythonmac-SIG] Interest In RAD for python?

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 21:17:41 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Samuel Smith wrote:

> There were three commercial IDE's for python announced at the Python
> conf this week. The prices I think were under $100 per seat. So not
> too expensive but still a lot more than $10-20 Shareware. My guess is
> the degree of interest would come down to price performance.
> Certainly everyone I know wants a good IDE for Python.
>
> FYI the 3 are
>
> PythonWorks by The Secret Labs
> Komodo by ActiveState
> Wing IDE by Archaeopteryx

  Since this is on the pythonmac-sig mailing list, I'll mention
that Apple has stated their intention to eventually support
other languages with the developer tools on mac OSX ( ProjectBuilder
and InterfaceBuilder ). In reality, they are probably quite a
way from shipping support for anything else like Python.
  Currently, a lot of stuff needed to make it work for something
like Python is undocumented -- there are several class descriptions
that contain only "Description forthcoming"  under every method.
  I was able to load and partially animate(*)  the Nib files from
another project (written in objective-c or Java with ProjectBuilder/
InterfaceBuilder) from Jython. ( I haven't yet figured out how to
do it from CPython, but I'm close. ) [* "partially animate" means
that all of the default framework actions work except that there's
no menu displayed, and I haven't figured out how to bind the non-default
actions to python methods. (That's one of the "Description fortcoming"
parts of the documentation! ) ]
  I haven't yet heard whether the development tools will be bundled
with the $129 OSX final release -- it was a separate CD but freely
downloadable for the public beta. I'm sure they will charge extra
for a final tools CD, but I don't know if they will keep the free
download.

-- Steve Majewski