[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.1b1 is ready!

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 22:09:59 +0100

Recently, Russell E Owen <owen@astro.washington.edu> said:
> I tried the net installer and switched to another application while
> it was running. At some point my Mac stopped responding (pointer
> still moved, but clicks were ignored). I heard a beep around then, so
> perhaps the installer was trying to tell me something. After waiting
> 10 minutes I did a forced exit and the installer quit and all was
> well. I forgot to check what state the installation was in, I just
> threw it away.

I haven't a clue what the problem is here. I think I'll leave the
active installer in place for this beta, but if more problems like
this show up I'll dump it for the next release.

> The full installer ran fine, though there's a fairly long pause when
> the Configure application launches before it starts building applets
> (this could lead one to fear the Mac is hung; if it's easy to add a
> dialog box that indicates activity, that might be nice).

This is a known problem with Installer Vise: it tells the Finder about
the 2000 new files that are on your disk. In previous versions of Vise
the machine appeared dead, but now they've somehow found a way to let
the finder do this "in the background". I'll see whether I can post a
dialog or something warning for this.

> Tk apps have the usual known problems: cannot quit and file events
> broken.

Will do.