[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter on MacOS X

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 09 Mar 2001 23:18:56 +0100

Recently, Mark Adler <Mark@SplitSW.com> said:
> > Once Tcl/Tk runs on MacOSX the Tkinter port shouldn't be that much work.
>
> What will be used for GUIs if Tkinter is never ported?

Standard MacOS is one option. I've tried to beat Tkinter into
submission for a couple of years, but I've given up. On unix it could
be called acceptable because GUI standard on unix are very low (or, at
least, used to be very low, they're getting better with gtk and
qt). On the Mac Tk is completely unacceptible, however. Everything is
done completely different from the way things are done on the
mac. Moreover, Tk is rather buggy on the Mac. Or, at least,
Tk+Tkinter+Python is. And it's slow as molasses.

I keep hearing good things about wxWindows, who have apparently
learned from the Tk mistakes, but so far I haven't seen any working
code.