[Pythonmac-SIG] Yet another MacPython beta

TattooMabonzoK. TattooMabonzoK.
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 01:31:35 +0100

Yo Jack,

The following is on OSX build 4K78 on my PowerBook Bronze Keyboard 500 Mhz
with 320 megs of RAM.

On Wednesday, March 14, 2001, at 01:39 , Jack Jansen wrote:

> Folks,
> there's yet another MacPython 2.1b1 installer, this time it is build 87.
> Barring showstoppers I will announce this to a wider audience tomorrow.
> Bugs
> fixed since the previous b1:
> - The problem with the IDE burning cycles on OSX has been fixed.
> - ConfigurePython will now detect suspicious preference files (with a
> different
>   Python folder from where it was started from, i.e. what will happen if
> you
>   install this after you've installed the previous 2.1b1) and offer to
>   remove it.

Hmmm.. I'm not sure this works as advertised. If memory serves  I got an
error message about some corrupted prefs file(sorry for being vague :-/)
and then I got a message stating that "ConfigurePythonCarbon unexpectedly
quit...". I then deleted all Python related files and folder @
/Users/<home_folder>/Library/Preferences.

I used the active installer which otherwise works perfectly.

> - The installer fires up ConfigurePython and waits for it.

I get a dialog stating that "ConfigurePython unexpectedly quit..." and at
the same time the warning about the finder activity.

Trying to run the applet manually I first get a dialog saying that "I have
installed MacPython on a non-boot or on Mac OS X. Normally an alias..."

Regardless of the option I choose (ie "Make alias" or "Copy"), I get an
error.

In the case of the "Copy" option, the error message states that:

in macostools.py on line 89 in copy
ofp = open(dstfss.as_pathname(), 'wb')
IOError: [Errno 13]: Permission denied: 'Mac OS
X:System:Library:CFMSupport:PythonCore 2.1b1'

While the 'Creating PythonCore aliases..." dialog is displayed. I'm logged
in as the default user who has admin privileges (but this is *not* root)

I have no recourse but selecting the "Quit ConfigurePythonCarbon" menu
item.
Worth noting is the fact that the error log appears quite slowly in the
output widow in a 'teletype way' meaning I can see characters being
printing slowing from left to right, top to  bottom at about half-a-dozen
chars a second.

> - The installer warns about the finder activity when it finishes.

It does warn but it may that this is all it does :-). Meaning I don't have
to wait for several minutes the way it worked on OS 9.x

> - On OSX Final you can put applets anywhere you want again. On Public Beta

Couldn't test that since I can't build applets :-).

>   they will still have to live in the Python folder.

If I can be of further help..,

= tmk =