[Pythonmac-SIG] Yet another MacPython beta

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:22:58 +0100

> Yo Jack,
>
> The following is on OSX build 4K78 on my PowerBook Bronze Keyboard 500 Mhz
> with 320 megs of RAM.

Build 4K78 is Release Candidate, right? (Can't check right now, the machine is
at home).

> Hmmm.. I'm not sure this works as advertised. If memory serves  I got an
> error message about some corrupted prefs file(sorry for being vague :-/)
> and then I got a message stating that "ConfigurePythonCarbon unexpectedly
> quit...". I then deleted all Python related files and folder @
> /Users/<home_folder>/Library/Preferences.

If this worked fine after you removed the preferences files I'd say we should
let it rest. Otherwise I would be interested in the exact error message.

> I get a dialog stating that "ConfigurePython unexpectedly quit..." and at
> the same time the warning about the finder activity.

Hmm, maybe this is because the dialog is modal? As soon as I saw the
ConfigurePython icon showing up I immedeately brought ConfigurePython to
front, maybe it fails if you don't do that?

> Trying to run the applet manually I first get a dialog saying that "I have
> installed MacPython on a non-boot or on Mac OS X. Normally an alias..."
>
> Regardless of the option I choose (ie "Make alias" or "Copy"), I get an
> error.
>
> In the case of the "Copy" option, the error message states that:
>
> in macostools.py on line 89 in copy
> ofp = open(dstfss.as_pathname(), 'wb')
> IOError: [Errno 13]: Permission denied: 'Mac OS
> X:System:Library:CFMSupport:PythonCore 2.1b1'
>
> While the 'Creating PythonCore aliases..." dialog is displayed. I'm logged
> in as the default user who has admin privileges (but this is *not* root)

Hmm, interesting. This all worked fine for me. Is anyone else here running OSX
RC? If so: please let us know how you fared...

I get the impression that under OSX Release Candidate the "Allow changes"
padlock works differently than under Public Beta, its state appears to be
remembered. It might be that I by chance had the padlock open when I installed
and you had it closed. If you have the time, could you see whether there's
anything you can do to make ConfigurePython run? (That is, short of enabling
the root account and using that, I definitely don't want to revert to that).
Also, an "ls -ld /System/Library/CFMSupport" would be worth looking at (to
compare it to mine).

> > - The installer warns about the finder activity when it finishes.
>
> It does warn but it may that this is all it does :-). Meaning I don't have
> to wait for several minutes the way it worked on OS 9.x

Ah, yes, no need to display that message on OSX, I guess. And on OS9 I'll
apparently have to give it earlier, as Russel Owen pointed out.