[Pythonmac-SIG] Newbie needs Clues

Advertising adv.files@robbstucky.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:04:43 -0500

Hi, I'm looking for some clues. Can somebody point me in the right
direction?

I have installed Debian GNU/Linux on a Quadra800 (so it's not a Mac
anymore)
I have it sharing one "Folder" as an AppleShare netAtalk Fileserver.

I want to......

   ...have a python app on the LinuxBox that monitors the shared "Folder."

   A MacUser will network copy a file into the LinuxBox's shared"Folder"

   The pythonApp will wait until the copy is completed and then
   do something, such as move the file from the shared"Folder" somewhere
else.

I'm confused as to how to tell when the network copying is finished, and
the file is safe to move.
(My python books cover file permissions, ownership, etc but all examples
are based on a single user / single machine / python as the only running
app / paradigm)

I am self-taught and my programming experience is limited to AppleScript.
As such, my techniques & thinking have been formulated as work-arounds to
AppleScript's many many shortcomings. (Such as waiting for an
appleShareClient's FinderCopy to Finish)

I'm sure there is a straightforward way of doing things like this in a
Pythonesque / Multi-platform manner.

Thanks a bunch,
Lane