[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Gnuplot Installation

Tom Loredo loredo@astrosun.tn.cornell.edu
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:36:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi folks-

Larry, where were you a week ago when I was trying to sort all
of this out?  8-)

My impression was that the newest version of Mac Gnuplot (3.7) was
produced by different folks from the earlier version that the Python
interface was built for.  That older version had the GPSE creator code
for the Gnuplot application, and it also required you to have the Alpha
editor (which it used as its console).  The newer, cleaner, and
apparently more stable 3.7 version is stand-alone, and has a different
creator code: {GP}.  Because of this, I just presumed (perhaps
incorrectly) that I'd better not rely on the Mac code in Gnuplot.py
having the right Apple events to match with the new build.  So I
rebuilt the entire suite following Jack's instructions that come with
MacPython (I'm new to OSA, so I was surprised I got any of it to
work!).  A bit of hacking was required (in particular, somehow no
"Quit" event was defined by following the instructions---any idea
what's up with this?), but it seems to work.  I can post the suite on a
web site if there's interest.  I just can't make any promises that I
did it right!

BTW, this was all with MacPython 2.0.  I had no problems installing
Gnuplot.py with Distutils, though I did have to add a search path to
MacPython to get the RequiredSuites.  If you have the *old* Mac Gnuplot
on your hard drive, just running Gnuplot.py out of the box will run it
fine.  I only had to do what I described above so that I could use the
newer build.

-Tom Loredo