[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.1b2 available

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:09:21 +0200

Recently, "Tattoo Mabonzo K." <tmk@easynet.be> said:
> This is on Mac OX 10.0 (build 4k78)
>
> As with B1:
> 	- At the end of the installation I still get the dialog re: Finder
> activity

Ah, forgot to take the dialog out. Will do so now.... Done for the
next release.

> 	- At the end of the installation I get a "The application
> ConfigurePythonCarbon has unexpectedly quit." dialog

I'm aware of this, but I don't know how to fix it, or what causes the
problem. If anyone has some time to put into investigating this:
please do so. The alternative is not to launch ConfigurePythonCarbon
under OSX and put up a dialog in stead, but I'd prefer not to revert
to that.

> Launching ConfigurePythonCarbon manually:
> 	- correctly detects that there's an old-no-longer-correct prefs file
> and offers 3 options (no too clear hear what's the behavior: I assume if I
> click continue, the old prefs file won't be deleted right? I chose the
> default option (remove and quit)

Right. I've been struggling with the wording in this dialog, if anyone
has a better idea for the sentences and/or the buttons: let's hear it.

> 	- I get the "Python on non-boot partition..." dialog. Since a on Mac
> OS X and Python is @ /Users/Shared/Hacking/ there are no Extensions folder
> anyway. Either the message is inaccurate or there's no such a need
> (copying PythonCore to the Extentions folder). Anyway I chose 'Copy' and
> the same dialog poped up once again. I chose 'Copy' once more and it then
> proceeded in building all applets.

I'm unsure about this one. It may be okay to always alias on OSX, but
I could also imagine that aliases won't work if you're running off a
UFS partition. Maybe I should always copy?

Comments, please!

> Now python seems to be working but the UI is still FUBAR and makes
> debugging essentially unpractical with the IDE

I haven't noticed this. The IDE UI is pretty abysmal under OSX, with
the black borders and hardly any of the button labels fitting (does
anyone feel like fixing this?). But I wasn't aware of any
functional problems, why is debugging essentially unpractical?