[Pythonmac-SIG] PythonMac vs Python Unix for Mac OSX cgi

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@Virginia.EDU
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:53:37 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Richard Blumberg wrote:

> I just installed OS X, and I was wondering if anyone has had
> experience compiling Python 2.1 (not PythonMac) under BSD Unix on an
> X system.

2.1 beta builds "right out of the box" on OSX --
 you need to ./configure --with-dyld , and if you're building
 on a HFS+ filesystem (which is the default), you also need to
 add --with-suffix=.x , so there's not a conflict between the Python
 directory and the python executable. You should rename or make a
 symbolic link for 'python' after the install:

./configure --with-dyld --with-suffix=.x
make
sudo make install
sudo ln /usr/local/bin/python.x /usr/local/bin/python
# or 'mv /usr/local/bin/python.x /usr/local/bin/python'
limit stack 4096  # so you don't get a stack overflow on the re test.
make test

BTW: re: the original question about MacPython vs (unix) Python on OSX:
This is the prefect example of when you would want to use unix Python
instead of MacPython -- CGI with Apache or with Zope, or for batch
unix programs or anywhere you need to interface with the standard unix
tools. Carbon and Cocoa modules aren't 100% working on the unix port
yet, so I you want to do GUI programming, you're better off with the
Carbon port of MacPython. If you want to interface with AppleScript,
use Carbon MacPython.

-- Steve Majewski