[Pythonmac-SIG] PythonMac vs Python Unix for Mac OSX cgi

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:46:19 +0200 (CEST)

Quoting "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>:
> Right now they are rather disjoint:
>
> MacPython files understand mac file types and if you double click on
> a Python created file, it will be opened by MacPython. The file needs
> to have Mac line-endings.
>
> Unix Python runs from the command line, wants unix line-endings and
> doesn't know anything about file-types or creators ( and won't respond
> to AppleEvents to Open a file from the desktop.
>
> They are sort of operating in two different domains.

I think the first thing to do to get the two versions moving towards one another
is to get rid of the line-ending problem: both versions should at least be
indifferent about whether Python sources use \n or \r.

Currently Python depends on line ending translation by the C library: maybe
this should change? I would much prefer the following behavior: returns will be
replaced by newlines, but newlines stay newlines. Then at least it's possible to
have the standard library installed only once...

Just