[Pythonmac-SIG] Guide to installing Unix-Python on MacOS X

Bob Savage bobsavage@mac.com
Thu, 17 May 2001 13:00:15 -0700

Ah! that would be because I didn't know what I was doing. Thanks for the
advice, Richard! Actually you wouldn't believe the horrible mess of things I
made the first few times I tried to install. Now I have learned how to
properly set environment variables under tcsh and that you can "chown"
recursively (the first two times I did each level of the hierarchy
separately!)

So for people as clueless as I am (there has to be at least one out there),
I did everything the same up through step [9], but I noticed that "make"
(step [8]) was complaining about a folder not being present that didn't get
created until step [9] so I did this:

make clean
make
sudo make install
sudo .python.exe setup.py install

You could have just make the directories yourself, and not have to go
through that whole process twice, but hey, this is my 6th time installing in
just three days, so consider yourself lucky!

At this point you should be able to skip all of the steps, except the python
executable still has the ".exe" ending, not a showstopper, but if you want
to get rid of it you can type

sudo mv /usr/local/bin/python.exe /usr/local/bin/python

cheers,

Bob Savage