[Pythonmac-SIG] Guide to installing Unix-Python on MacOS X

Bob Savage bobsavage@mac.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 17:37:42 -0700

on 5/20/01 1:12 PM, Tony Lownds wrote:
> Yep, I typed "make" twice, on purpose. Actually (as someone pointed
> out in pvt. email) if you install readline before compiling python
> the readline module will be made automatically.

Okay so I'll tell people to build/install readline first, and use one make,
unless something else comes up.

> FYI I actually did "sudo make install" to install.

Okay, so I'll keep that for sure.

> Interesting, I do have all of those files on my computer in the
> /usr/local/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload folder. Where are those
> additional files? If you did ls -R /the duplicates may come from the
> build process, in the  Python2.1/build/lib.<platform>/ directory.

I'm going to reinstall everything all over again, and see if I can figure
this out. In the mean time I carefully examined the difference between my
first install, and the binaries you supplied. Notes follow:

[1] You have this directory, I don't seem to have anything comparable:

/usr/local/lib/python2.1/Lib/plat-darwin1:
FCNTL.py
FCNTL.pyc
FCNTL.pyo
IN.py
IN.pyc
IN.pyo
SOCKET.py
SOCKET.pyc
SOCKET.pyo
TERMIOS.py
TERMIOS.pyc
TERMIOS.pyo
regen

[2] You have many files ending in ".so" in the directory

/usr/local/lib/python2.1/Lib/lib-dynload

In my install, they ".so" files were in a directory called

/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages

and I noticed that you have one extra one:

zlib.so

Do you know what enabled that?

[3] I think it is a minor thing, but your method ended up with lots of
".pyc" and ".pyo" files. I know the reason I don't have the ".pyc" files is
because I didn't run all of the tests (I blew it offer after the regex test
failed -- I'll include the workaround that was mentioned earlier on the list
next time I revise the guide). But I am unclear on what creates a ".pyo"
file. The Beazley book says they are only used if the interpreter is run
with the "-o" option.

I'm also going to put the URL to your website at the top, because aside from
the ease of simply installing the work you already did, you also have PIL
and you mention XML (there doesn't seem to be any difference in the XML
directories, so I assume this means it is literally "built-in" to the
executable?) Let me know if you would prefer not to be linked before I do it
and you have scores of Python / Mac fans overwhelming your server!

all the best,

Bob Savage