[Pythonmac-SIG] Passing Data: from AppleScript to argv(command line parameters)

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 24 May 2001 23:51:09 +0200

Recently, Advertising <adv.files@robbstucky.com> said:
> >There's currently no way to do this. Python accepts two appleevents,
> >open document and open app. And with open document it expects
> >documents (which are then added to sys.argv).
>
> Which python is preconfigured to accept 2 AppleEvents (open document /
> open app)?
>      Interpreter,
>      IDE,
>      or SimpleScripts saved as Applets.

Interpreter does, and the first FSSpec will be used as the script to
execute, subsequent ones as argv[1], etc.

IDE does, and opens an edit window with the script.

scripts saved as Applets will also accept them and stuff them into
argv[1] etc.

> When you say "open document" do you mean opening the *.py file,
> or can I.......
>
>      tell application "pythonUnspecified"
>           open document FSSpec
>      end tell

Yes, that's right. That's basically what the finder does when you
doubleclick a .py script.

> ps
> Stop the discrimination against and stereotyping of Advertisers!

Hehe, okay, I'll try to refrain from it. It's just my subconscious
kicking in now and again:-)