[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: good CVS/ssh client for Mac?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sun, 27 May 2001 22:22:34 +0200

Recently, Bob Savage <bobsavage@mac.com> said:
> I'm glad this came up, because I was wondering about something: since CVS
> was created for the rather "plain" world of unix computing, and Macs use
> much "richer" components in their applications (binary data, e.g. resource
> files/forks), are there special steps one needs to take under MacOS when
> using CVS on a project?

For non-TEXT files all Mac cvs clients will optionally allow the file
to be put into the repository as binhex or macsingle format. This has
a slight problem because it means that everything appears changed
twice a year (when the Mac magically changes file times when switching
from/to daylight saving time), but aside from that it works fine.

The only problem is that you have to specify which file types have to
be checked in as straight binary even though they may have a resource
fork (images and soundfiles, mainly) and it's easy to forget to ad new
types. Then you'll be checking the first .aiff into the repository and
it'll work fine for you, but after a while the windows or unix users
of the repository start complaining.

One thing that I haven't yet found out how to do, maybe someone can
help out here: is there a way I can tell unix-CVS that certain files
need pre/postprocessing? In my cvstree on OSX (for which I use unix
CVS) all my resource-fork files are unusable. Knowing CVS there's
probably a way to do what I want, but I don't know of it yet...