[Pythonmac-SIG] Question about Tkinter listbox

Josh English english@spiritone.com
30 May 2001 21:27:51 -0700

I am new to python and I am using MacPython 2.1 and Tk 8.9 on Mac OS
9.0. I am having difficulty figuring out how to get the selected item in
a listbox into an entry data field. I have tried the following code
after lots of failed experiments:

from Tkinter import *

names = ['Josh','Steph']

class window(Frame):
    def sendname(self):
        index = namelist.curselection()    # Fails here
        print index                        # for testing
        label = namelist.get(index)        # Fails here
        print label                        # for testing

    root=Tk()
    namelist = Listbox(root)
    pos = 0
    for name in names:
        namelist.insert(pos,name)
        pos=pos+1
    namelist.pack(side=LEFT,fill=Y)
    namelist.bind('<Double-1>',sendname)

    nameentry = Entry(root)
    nameentry.pack(side=TOP,fil=X)

window().mainloop()

In Programming Python  by Mark Lutz there is a ScrolledList class on
page 372 and I've adapted the code for this. I'm ignoring the scroll bar
and focusing on just this one issue. I want to get the nameentry field
to reflect what is selected in namelist.

Any suggestions?

Josh English
english@spiritone.com