[Pythonmac-SIG] crashes on OS X

Doug Wyatt doug@sonosphere.com
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 14:21:00 -0800

I used the Unix flavor of 2.1 on X for some time.  I recently installed
2.2b1 from source, tweaking things only very minimally (I think I only
added GNU readline).

If I start the Python interpreter in one terminal window, then execute a
Python script in another, the script bombs (backtrace below).

Before I spend some time trying to debug this, is it a known issue?

If not, first thing I'll try is removing all the Carbon/Toolbox
modules -- I don't know why _InitHLTB should be on the stack (HLTB =
High-Level Toolbox); I'm suspecting that one of the Mac-specific dynamic
modules is invoking Carbon at initialization time.

Failing that I'll spend some time in gdb...

Doug

Date/Time:  2001-11-03 14:16:54 -0800
OS Version: 10.1 (Build 5L9)

Command:    python
PID:        537

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000008

Thread 0:
  #0   0x70006040 in _spin_lock_try
  #1   0x70197b74 in CFMessagePortCreateRunLoopSource
  #2   0x7319e5f8 in INIT_Processes
  #3   0x7319b794 in _InitHLTB
  #4   0x41108ac0 in call_image_init_routines
  #5   0x41112b0c in _dyld_make_delayed_module_initializer_calls
  #6   0x00001d78 in _call_mod_init_funcs
  #7   0x00001bf8 in _start
  #8   0x00001b6c in start

--