[Pythonmac-SIG] Carbon events in an interrupt-level routine

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 07 Nov 2001 00:57:49 +0100

Recently, Just van Rossum <just@letterror.com> said:
> > can take a look at converting the W code to CarbonEvents. I'm not sure
> > how much of a benefit this will be as it complicates the code base
> > tremendously if we want to continue to support non-carbon CFM. We'll
> > have to wait and see.
>
> Hm, I can see not supporting classic anymore in some near future...

I haven't looked at it closely, but I think most of the CarbonEvents
vs. Classic Events differences will be in FrameWork. So a possible
route to take would be to duplicate FrameWork (FrameWork_Classic and
FrameWork_Carbon, with a modeul FrameWork that simply does an import *
from either, based on the value of MacOS.runtimemodel).

The Carbon framework could then be modified to use carbon events. If
this turns out to change the FrameWork API and it is easy to backport
this API change to classic framework: fine. If it turns out this is
not easy we skip it, but we don't commit the changes to FrameWork
until after the 2.2 release. 2.2 will then be the last classic release
(which it will probably be anyway).

Another change FrameWork would benefit from is if it adopted the
Carbon Menu/Command stuff.
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm