[Pythonmac-SIG] How do I install Macpython?

Ryan Wilcox ryanwilcox@mac.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:11:43 -0500

On Wednesday, November 14, 2001, at 11:42 PM, jgitomer@erols.com (Jerry Gitomer)
wrote:

>I am a complete newbie when it comes to Macintosh.  I have downloaded
>Macpython152.bin.  In my ignorance I assumed that doubleclicking on the file
>name would start up the installation.  No such luck.  What do I have to do to
>get python installed?

.bin is a "compression" format. There's more to it, but I won't complicate
matters further.

Drag and Drop that file onto StuffIt Expander. This will "decompress" the file.

By default, StuffIt Expander will will create the "decompressed" file in the
same directory as the encoded file. (it -should- be named MacPython152, or
something like that). That application should install the needed components,
giving you a working Python install.

HTH,
-Ryan Wilcox

PGP key available on keyserver.pgg.com
PGP fingerprint: 2B1D 8B69 318C F876 A6ED  FE0B 6D83 B4A8 2F4E 9C31