[Pythonmac-SIG] Python-friendly Databases for the Mac

Steve Spicklemire steve@spvi.com
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 05:38:45 -0500

Hi Michal,

I think Gadfly is a great SQL database for testing, prototyping and
small/simple production systems. If I recall correctly Aaron Watters
originally developed it as a teaching tool for a SQL class he was
teaching. It's provided as an example SQL database (with adaptor) in
Zope, but is not otherwise used in Zope's internals (e.g., ZODB). It's
nice since it's written completely in python so you can easily embed it
in any python application with (essentially) no installation/maintenance
headaches. It's also pretty darn fast, considering there are no
extensions involved in it's implementation! It's limitations include the
fact that all the database data is memory resident, and it doesn't live
happily in heavily threaded environments (i.e., you can test with it in
Zope, but don't expect it to work when multiple Zope threads need access
to the database at the same time!).

Anyway.. all from memory, but I think mostly right.

take care,
-steve