[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac OS X Python 2.2a4 Bug (_not_ Mac Python)

Jonathan Wight jwight_lists@mac.com
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:25:47 -0500

For anyone interested in this...

Turns out there is a bug in the documentation -- the README that in the
Python build directory states that you ought to use '--without-toolbox-glue'
to turn off the Mac toolbox stuff. You should actually use
'--disable-toolbox-glue'.

This will allow you to make python but 'make all' will fail. Fortunately the
python executable has already been built by that point and can be copied to
/usr/local/bin and used.

It looks to me that Mac OS X 'Unix' (Darwin?) Python and Classic Mac Python
are intermingling too much. I'd like to see a the Unix Python be totally
independent of the Mac. All the toolbox glue stuff should be in separate
shared libraries and only loaded as needed. IMHO the Mac OS X Unix Python
should be totally pure.

    Jon