[Pythonmac-SIG] Embedding Python invisibly

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sat, 06 Oct 2001 00:16:18 +0200

Recently, "Alexandre Parenteau" <alexp@strata.com> said:
> However I was thinking to write a specialized GUSISioux.cpp for MacPython,
> both for providing an API entry to make MacPython quiet and to adjust with
> the current implementation of the delayed console.

[Jack wanders off towards Guido's time machine]

Poof! As of 2.1 MacPython has it's own replacement for GUSISioux.cpp,
pyGUSISioux.cpp. It handles delayed console already.

I think we can add an API
PyMac_SetConsoleHandler(readcharsfunc, writecharsfunc)
that embedding apps can use to redirect console output to their own
code. We could also provide PyMac_NullReadChars() and
PyMac_NullWriteChars() to make console i/o get lost forever. These
functions should be callable before PyMac_Initialize().

Alexandre, do you want to tackle this?

> Jack is there a chance you get on CW7 soon ? This way it would be easier to
> debug on OSX.

It may be a while, I'm afraid. With Oratrix our short-term focus is on
Windows, and in the current cost-cutting atmosphere that means that
updating CW is non-essential. And I'll have to do a bit of
soul-searching to decide whether I want to pay it out of my own
pocket, the price-vs-expected-income ratio is on the high side:-)
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm