[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter on Mac

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sat, 06 Oct 2001 15:39:46 +0200

Recently, tom smith <tom@othermedia.com> said:
> p.s I'm anxiously waiting someone to port Tk to OSX (I even braved jPython
> for a few days... swing IS nice)

Work on a Tk/Aqua port is underway, if I interpret the comments on on
the mactcl mailing list correctly, but I haven't seen any timeline
yet.

But there's another option: if I read the announcement of the new
xfree86 for OSX correctly it now supports rootless usage (previously
the free X11 implementation had all the X windows within another
window, like Virtual PC, and if you wanted X windows as first class
citizens you needed a commercial X server), so if you really want
Tkinter this may be a solution.
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm