[Pythonmac-SIG] FYI: Aqua Tcl/Tk (fwd)

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@minsky.med.virginia.edu
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:06:06 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:05:00 -0700
From: Jim Ingham <jingham@apple.com>
To: darwin-development@lists.apple.com
Subject: Aqua Tcl/Tk

H, all,

I am not sure it is entirely germane to this list, but since people have
asked several times, I thought I would announce here that Apple has
finished the first cut of a native Aqua port of Tcl/Tk for MacOS X.  Of
course, for those of you who use XFree in one form or another, Tk
already compiles pretty trivially there.   This is only for those who
want a native Aqua version.

The code and ongoing development will be hosted at the SourceForge
Tcl/Tk repository.  Apple's contributions are made under the same BSD
license as the rest of Tcl/Tk.  There are instructions on the main tcl
page (tcl.sourceforge.net) for getting the code via cvs.  The MacOS X
port is currently on a branch (macosx-8-4-branch).  I will work to get
this accepted to the main line as quickly as I can.

If you have a Source Forge account already, you just need to do:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.tcl.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tcl co -r
macosx-8-4-branch tcl

and

cvs -d
:pserver:anonymous@cvs.tktoolkit.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tktoolkit co
-r macosx-8-4-branch tk

There are also binaries of the Wish application, and the Tcl & Tk
libraries packaged as frameworks, look in the released files section of
the Tcl page mentioned above.

I posted some longer notes on how to compile & run the thing, both to
comp.lang.tcl, and to the MacTcl mailing list (hosted also at
SourceForge).

I don't do any work on either PerlTk, or TkInter myself, but if there
are folks out there who are interested in getting the Aqua port to work
with either of these modules, I would be more than happy to help them.

Enjoy,

Jim