[Pythonmac-SIG] BBEdit 6.5 and MacPython

Jim Harrison jhrsn@pitt.edu
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:34:20 -0400

BBEdit 6.5 now comes with a Python text coloring language module, which =
led
me to try it out on OS 9.1 and MacPython 2.1.1 with the old 'Run as =
Python'
plug-in from 1999 and Just's PythonSlave.py script that's copyrighted =
1996.
I had to comment out 'from Types import *' in PythonSlave, but after =
that it
ran fine for simple scripts. Pretty slick, actually.

There are a few rough edges. PythonSlave must be started manually =
before you
can use Run as Python (the plug-in doesn=B9t initiate startup of the =
script).
PythonSlave also doesn't respond to Quit or Command-Q; you must hit
Control-D to exit. PythonSlave's execution window is always open, so =
it's
not particularly aesthetic to leave it running in the background
continuously. These seem minor issues and I haven't really exercised =
this
setup to see if additional problems might exist.

I'm not expert enough to look through PythonSlave in detail and =
recognize
what might need updating but it doesn't look like it would be too much =
of a
job for someone who knew what was out of date and what was current. I =
wonder
if it would be worth thinking about updating the plug-in and =
PythonSlave to
work together smoothly in the current BBEdit environment?

Jim Harrison
University of Pittsburgh