[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems with new features introduced during beta, anyone?

Schollnick, Benjamin Benjamin.Schollnick@usa.xerox.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:57:33 -0400

Jack,

	My feel on this is _almost_ simple:

	* Forget about the new features, and stay with baseline v2.2b1.
			or
	* Add the features as experimental, but ensure that it's simple
		to disable the features.  (For example, they are in modules
		that have to be imported to add functionality).

	I still haven't seen a list of new features in v2.2, and I'm
	still using v2.0 (Macintosh), and v2.1 (PC)....  As long as it's
	stable, and works, and doesn't have new features that I need to use
	(or bug fixes that I need) I generally don't upgrade...

	Python is unusual in the fact that it's mostly (95%+) backward
	comptiable.... The only thing that has "bitten" me is that in
	v1.52 (?) was that there was a bug in the socket code that allowed
	a non-tuple form to be used (in bind or connect?)... But that was
	simply fixed...

	I'm all for adding new features, but to me stablity and not having
	a "release of the week", is one of the features that I desire.....

		- Benjamin