[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie question re W/Framework tools under MacPython

Donovan Preston dpreston@intersight.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:50:04 -0700

On Thursday, October 25, 2001, at 02:55 PM, Chris Ryland wrote:

> I'm new to the Python-Mac mailing list, and fairly new to Python, but am
> contemplating using it for some short-term real shippable
> data-publishing
> products under MacOS Classic and X (and also Win32).
>
> My basic question is: What is the concensus (if there is one) about
> using
> the W/Framework tools for creating native Mac apps? Is it a dead end?
> Even
> if so, is it a *reliable* dead end? ;-)
>
> Any comments appreciated.
>
> I realize it's something of a dead end by definition unless someone is
> planning a Carbonized version.

W is already carbonized. W is what the IDE is programmed in, after all.

I suppose it depends how complex of an app you want to develop. If you
are content to confine yourself to the types of widgets that are present
in the Python IDE, text boxes, buttons, scrollable text areas, lists,
and pop up menus, then it works great.

Probably it's greatest deficiency is an almost utter lack of
documentation. However, you can always just read the code, and it's not
like it's the most complex framework in the world.

Of course, it is not cross platform. My opinion is the most promising
solution for cross platform GUI python apps would be wxPython, but there
continues to not be a wxPython for the Mac, and probably won't be for
quite some time. People have been bemoaning the lack of wxPython on the
mac for quite a few years.

There's my input!

Donovan