[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie question re W/Framework tools under MacPython

Corran Webster cwebster@unlv.edu
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:10:26 -0800

At 3:50 PM -0700 25/10/01, Donovan Preston wrote:
>On Thursday, October 25, 2001, at 02:55 PM, Chris Ryland wrote:
>
>>I'm new to the Python-Mac mailing list, and fairly new to Python, but am
>>contemplating using it for some short-term real shippable data-publishing
>>products under MacOS Classic and X (and also Win32).
>>
>>My basic question is: What is the concensus (if there is one) about using
>>the W/Framework tools for creating native Mac apps? Is it a dead end? Even
>>if so, is it a *reliable* dead end? ;-)
>>
>>Any comments appreciated.
>>
>>I realize it's something of a dead end by definition unless someone is
>>planning a Carbonized version.
>
>W is already carbonized. W is what the IDE is programmed in, after all.
>
>I suppose it depends how complex of an app you want to develop. If
>you are content to confine yourself to the types of widgets that are
>present in the Python IDE, text boxes, buttons, scrollable text
>areas, lists, and pop up menus, then it works great.

It's pretty easy to extend to other sorts of widgets.

>Probably it's greatest deficiency is an almost utter lack of
>documentation. However, you can always just read the code, and it's
>not like it's the most complex framework in the world.

It's probably about time to mention this again:

http://www.nevada.edu/~cwebster/Python/WWidgets/index.html

Far from complete, but hopefully more than enough to get people started with W.

>Of course, it is not cross platform. My opinion is the most
>promising solution for cross platform GUI python apps would be
>wxPython, but there continues to not be a wxPython for the Mac, and
>probably won't be for quite some time. People have been bemoaning
>the lack of wxPython on the mac for quite a few years.

I'm hoping that the anygui project will provide a good cross-platform
environment, but the current release doesn't seem to have anything
for the mac yet.

Regards,
Corran

--