[Pythonmac-SIG] AppleScript Studio and Python

Michael J Barber mjb@thp.Uni-Koeln.DE
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:33:02 +0200

No mention of this yet, so I thought I'd bring it up.

>From an article on MacCentral:
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/25.keynote.php>
Review of Apple's Seybold keynote
   by David Read
   September 25, 2001 3:10 pm ET

"""
Apple is also working on AppleScript Studio, which will be available by
the end of
the year. Studio combines AppleScript with Apple's IDE (Integrated
Development
Environment) tools Project Builder and Interface Builder. "This makes
AppleScript a
peer language with Java and Objective C," said Sal Soghoian, Apple's
AppleScript
guru.

This combination will give scripters a tool to create professional level
scripts that
can take advantage of everything AppleScript offers and provides
end-users an Aqua
interface to run the script. Soghoian demonstrated a complex script,
built with
AppleScript Studio, where the script pulled data from FileMaker Pro and
IMedia and
placed the data into InDesign, creating a shake and bake real-estate
catalog. "Now
is the time for scripting on Apple," said Soghoian to rapt applause.
"""

There had been mention before of making an OSA interface for Python, so
that it could act as a scripting language like AppleScript of Frontier.
I seem to remember that this was a nontrivial task, but cannot locate
the previous discussion so I don't know why.  However, Bill Fancher has
what looks to be a rather nice start on such a thing on his web page
<http://home.pacbell.net/fancher/OSA_Python/OSA_Python_Notes.html>,
although it isn't clear that it will work with OS X (and I don't have
the opportunity to find out at the moment, since I can't take the time
right now for dealing with a system upgrade).

I've found no mention of AppleScript Studio on Apple's website,
unfortunately.  But, assuming it is for OSA and not just AppleScript,
are we looking at a very direct way to access PB and IB?  Does anyone
know if it is for OSA in general?