[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: Apple Design Awards Update: Open Source Category

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 00:05:01 +0200

On vrijdag, februari 22, 2002, at 10:43 , Jack Jansen wrote:

> Folks,
> Apple have just added a category "best open source product" to
> their yearly design awards.
> How about giving it a go and trying to win that award with Python?

This isn't going to happen. At least: not this year.

Why not, you may wonder? A number of reasons:
- the amount of help I got offered here on pythonmac-sig wasn't
exactly staggering. It did trigger a couple of people to work on
Cocoa-Python, but that was about it.
- The timing of Python 2.2.1 has been delayed. I was hoping to
use Python 2.2.1 for the core, plus the CVS head (Python 2.3a0)
for the Mac portion, plus the universal newlines patch (also not
accepted yet) as the basis for this. But with no Python 2.2.1
for another week this would mean basing a release for which we
want a lot of visibility on a lot of unproven technology (all of
it, in fact;-).
- There are still a lot of open ends: I never got a pointer the
the Applescript Studio stuff, integrating the documentation with
the IDE hasn't been done yet, there's no installer and I don't
know yet how to make one, and many many more.

But: I'll try and continue on the path I'm on and get these
worked out so we can do an all-singing-all-dancing MacOSX
distribution for 2.3 (or maybe earlier). So: help is still
requested in the areas listed above!
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -