[Pythonmac-SIG] Console input in the IDE?

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:27:57 +0200

Louis M. Pecora wrote:

> I'd like to avoid that awful Input window in the IDE that comes up whenever I
> call raw_input().  It comes to the front, covering part of the output window
> (which often has things I'd like to look at), it's immovable, and it pops up
> over Piddle plots I've done so I can't see part of them or close them or
> whatever.  It just takes over.  I thought there might be a way to use the
> "Interactive" window as a console, but I haven't figured that out.  Doing a
> cmd-R is very nice, but is there a way to input like a console tty window
> rather than the special input window?  Any help appreciated.
>
> -- Lou Pecora
>
> P.S. Apologies to whomever did the input window in the IDE (Jack? Sorry.).
> I'm sure you spent some time coding it and I don't mean to be nasty, but it's
> making it hard for me to use my program interactively and still display
> things, copy Piddle graphics, etc.

It was probably me, but then again, I'm not sure. Whoever it did didn't spend
all that much time on it.

I honestly don't care about both that window and raw_input() working nicely. The
whole concept of raw_input() simply doesn't work well with a GUI app. Yeah, the
input dialog is awful, but the only goal was for raw_input() to not blow up. To
do _something_. It should be possible to use the interactive window instead, but
it isn't completely trivial, and I'm definitely not going to do it...

Just