[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter for Carbon timetable?

Tony Lownds tony@metanet.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:10:02 -0800

>Yes, Tkinter works fine with AquaTk in MachoPython (how's that for
>buzzwords:-). Somewhere in the pythonmac-sig archives you'll find a
>set of instructions for how to get it to work.

AquaTk has been updated since those archived instructions were
written. Here are new instructions, also at
http://tony.lownds.com/macosx/tkinter.html

Rough notes on getting Tkinter+MachoPython to work

    1. Download the latest Mac OS X Tk Snapshot from the Tcl/Tk
Project File List.
    2. Untar that file: sudo tar -zxf MacOSXTk8.4a4-2.tar.gz -C /
    3. Download python sources - either CVS or version 2.2. cd into
source directory.
    4. ./configure --enable-framework
    5. Append the following to Modules/Setup.local

*shared*
_tkinter _tkinter.c tkappinit.c -DWITH_APPINIT \
         -I/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers/ \
         -I/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/Current/PrivateHeaders/ \
         -I/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers/ \
         -I/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/Current/PrivateHeaders/ \
         -I/usr/X11R6/include/ \
         -framework Tcl -framework Tk

    6. make
    7. sudo make frameworkinstall
    8. cd to Mac/OSX; sudo make install
    9. Copy IDLE into Python.app
          1. cd back to the top-level source directory ../..
          2. cp -r Tools/idle /Applications/Python.app/Contents/Resources/
          3. echo import idle.idle >
/Applications/Python.app/Contents/Resources/__main__.py
   10. open -a Python

NOTE ON STEP 5: If you don't have /usr/X11R6/include you'll need to
go out and find those headers...

-Tony