[Pythonmac-SIG] Subtle difference between PythonMac and command line on OS X

Tony Lownds tony@metanet.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:19:12 -0800

>I want to have the command line version return '192.168.0.4' as well

On command line:

sudo hostname 192.168.0.4

...but that probably doesn't really do what you want.

I'd guess that he reason for the difference is there are entirely
different subsystems returning the value. PythonMac using GUSI while
MachoPython (command line on OS X) uses standard POSIX calls.

So, this probably isn't a bug, just expected deviations across
platforms (PythonMac and MachoPython are different platforms.)

>  since I'm trying to open a socket on that.

Whats wrong with opening the socket to 'localhost' on the command line version?

-Tony