[Pythonmac-SIG] Python defaulting as a framework for OSX/Mach-O

Tony Lownds tony@metanet.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:42:58 -0700

At 3:30 PM +0200 4/19/02, Jack Jansen wrote:
>On Thursday, April 18, 2002, at 09:11 , Alexandre Parenteau wrote:
>
>>The primary reason of my email is to push for defaulting the compilation of
>>Python-Mach-O as a framework, so application on OSX can embed Python easily.
>>It would be nice also to provide an installer of Python this way.
>
>I don't want to scare the unix users too much, that's the main
>reason for having the default build be the non-framework built. This
>results in a Python installation that's 100% familiar to them.

Couldn't those UNIX users use ./configure --without-framework ?

Shouldn't the default build sequence of

   ./configure; make; make install

result in a Python that's as useful as possible?

>  Also, the framework build is still too convoluted ("make
>frameworkinstall" in stead of "make install", plus running make in
>Mac/OSX to create the .app and a few other things).

Yeah, it's pretty convoluted. Perhaps the real reason for a
non-framework default build is not so much scaring the UNIX users but
scaring the maintainers of other UNIX build processes... every change
seems to convolute things a bit more.

I'd really like to have the Mac/OSX/Makefile integrated into one
build command even if it's not "make install".

>I do, however, think that an installer with a framework-based Python
>would be a very good idea.

Yes! For 2.3!

-Tony