[Pythonmac-SIG] Installer issue - checking for presence of Python 2.2.1?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:34:59 +0200

On vrijdag, april 26, 2002, at 05:55 , Paul Miller wrote:

> I've been working on a MindVision installer which contains a
> copy of the 2.2.1 vise installer. I would only like to
> sub-launch the Python installer if it is not already installer.
> I need the technique to work under OS9 and OS/X (but I'm only
> using the Carbon version in both). Searching for
> PythonCoreCarbon 2.2 doesn't seem to work under OS/X.

Are you sure you're searching in the right location? On OSX you
should look in (kLocalDomain, kSharedLibrariesFolder), on OS9 in
(kOnSystemDisk, kSharedLibrariesFolder). See ConfigurePython.py
for details.

An alternative is to look for the preference file.
pythonprefs.py has some of the details, but it picks up the
actual name of the prefs file (which changes from release to
release) from Python itself, so you'll have to fill that in by
hand.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -