[Pythonmac-SIG] Step-by-step howto for testing new Mach{ho}Python architecture

Donovan Preston dp@ulaluma.com
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 11:56:04 -0700

On 8/4/02 2:48 AM, "Tony McDonald" <tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk> wrote:

> 1) Is there a 'terminal' version of it?
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python gives a bus
> error;
> Python 2.3a0 (#19, Aug  4 2002, 09:36:17)
> [GCC 2.95.2 19991024 (release)] on darwin
> Bus error

That is indeed the 'terminal' version. You shouldn't be getting a bus
error... All I can think is that it's because of the version of readline you
have installed. Seems about right; readline works only for interactive
input, therefore setup.py build works; and the ide doesn't use readline so
that works properly...

So, try uninstalling readline and recompiling. Or, figure out how to get a
readline installed that doesn't crash the interactive interpreter, because I
would like to be able to use it as well :)

Finally, about the advanced editor patch, it's simply a matter of changing
all of the toolbox module imports from "import Blah" to "from Carbon import
Blah"... Otherwise, I didn't have to change a thing to get the advanced
editor to work. I will try to apply it to my fresh copy of the IDE I
installed yesterday and post another step-by-step for people interested in
having this functionality.

By the way, Jack or Just, how come this functionality was never incorporated
into the base IDE? It has some funny behavior, but syntax coloring alone is
totally worth it...

Donovan
http://www.ulaluma.com/pyx