[Pythonmac-SIG] Step-by-step howto for testing new Mach{ho}Python architecture

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 22:50:02 +0200

On zondag, augustus 4, 2002, at 12:48 , Tony McDonald wrote:
> %
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python
> setup.py
> build
> %
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python
> setup.py
> install

Someone already mentioned "make installunixprograms" in the
Mac/OSX/Makefile, which will allow you to type "python" in stead
of the 70-character full path.

Question to everyone: should I add the "make
installunixprograms" to the "make osxapps" of the main Makefile?
I'm a bit reluctant to do so, as people may want to keep the
unix tools point to a non-framework Python (for instance if
Apple ships Python with Jaguar).

Hmm, how about the following three targets (and getting rid of
"make osxapps") in the main Makefile:
make frameworkinstall - does what it does now
make frameworkinstallapps - does what osxapps does now
make frameworkinstallunixtools - does "make installunixprograms"
in the Mac/OSX Makefile.

Comments?
> I've just run a quick MySQL python script in the IDE and it works :)

Note that the IDE has an option to run its scripts with the
command-line Python in a Terminal window from within the IDE.
Check the menu on the righthandside of the file's window (where
you also find "run as __main__" and such).
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -