[Pythonmac-SIG] Which installer to use for MacPython-OSX?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:12:42 +0200

Folks,
I finally got around to reading up on Package Maker, and I'm a
bit disappointed. While it would be almost trivial to create a
package with it that installs the right stuff into
/Library/Frameworks, /Applications/Python and /usr/local/bin I
can't see a way in which I can give the user the option to
install everything in their home directory.

I could enable the folder selection option, but that would allow
them to install anywhere (meaning they could install in lots of
locations where stuff simply won't work).

Moreover, I get the impression that the "require admin
privileges" is a global property of the package, whereas what I
would really want is only require those if the user installs in
the default (system-wide) location.

Has anyone any bright ideas for how to solve this? If I can
share the data between sub-packages I could make identical
subpackages where one installs into /, the other in $HOME. But
obviously if this means we need to carry two copies of
everything it's overkill...

If it can't be solved I can see two possibilities:
1. Create two installers, one for system-wide installation, one
for home-directory installation. This seems rather silly, though.
2. Check whether Installer Vise can do what I want. It probably
can, and I have a freeware license for it, but it would make it
more difficult for others to create an installer.

Any opinions?
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -