[Pythonmac-SIG] Testing MachoPython

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:12:38 +0200

On donderdag, augustus 29, 2002, at 04:56 , Michael Esveldt wrote:

> This is a fairly basic question, but its answer might be of
> some small use to MacPython: How safe is it to perform test
> builds?
>
> I follow the list closely and, in the interest of a working
> MachoPython, I frequently would like to help perform some of
> the basic tests that are requested by Jack and others. I'm a
> little wary, however, because this is all very new stuff.
> I have an existing installation of python by fink, will I still
> be able to use that if I install MacPython from CVS?

If fink still installs everything in /sw (as it did the last
time I checked it) then the two won't bite each other. if you
have /usr/local/bin in your $PATH before /sw/bin your build will
be preferred, otherwise the fink build will be preferred.

> Will installing a test version cause problems when a neatly
> packaged installation eventually comes along?

It shouldn't, the packaged installer should install over the
version you built.

But, even so, uninstalling is fairly simple. For non-framework
Python remove /usr/local/bin/python* and recursively
/usr/local/lib/python*. For framework Python remove
/usr/local/bin/python* and recursively
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework and /Applications/Python.

I guess this should be documented somewhere, but I'm not quite
sure where...
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -