[Pythonmac-SIG] Need help debugging Python documentation install

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:47:24 +0200

On donderdag, augustus 29, 2002, at 12:12 , John W Baxter wrote:

> At 23:41 +0200 8/28/2002, Jack Jansen wrote:
>> Now, however, I need to debug the way I'm installing the
>> documentation, and I can't do that myself, because it seems that
>> once you've told Apple help Viewer about a documentation set
>> there is absolutely no way to make it forget that documentation
>> again, so my system is tainted.
>

> Are you saying that removing, for example,
>     <key>com.apple.iChat</key>
>     <array>
>         <array>
>             <string>iChatHelp</string>
>
> <string>file://localhost/Applications/iChat.app/Contents/Resources/English.
> lproj/iChatHelp/</string>
>         </array>
>     </array>
>
> (that file URL is wrapped...it aligns with the line above)
> from ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.help.plist
>
> isn't sufficient?

Ah! Yet another preference place for Apple help Viewer! What I
had done was removed the directory ~/Library/Apple Help Prefs,
but that didn't help. The next time I started AHV it rebuilt the
whole directory and the Python docs were there again (even
though the docs themselves were gone, or at least moved to a
different location).

No, your trick doesn't help either:-(

I've now done the following:
- Moved the documentation (in the framework) from Documentation
to Documentation-xx.
- Removed the lines referring to it from
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.help.plist
- Removed and rebuilt my Apple Help Prefs folder.

And, lo and behold, AHV not only lists the Python documentation
in its menu, it is even still able to display it! This means
that it must have stashed an alias away somewhere. (I guess it
must be an alias: a symlink would have survived me moving
Documentation to Documentation-xx).

I guess this tells us that Apple is treating access to
documentation Religiously Serious:-)
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -