[Pythonmac-SIG] How long until OS X Python is ready for prime time?

Bill Bedford billb@mousa.demon.co.uk
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 22:35:35 +0000

At 2:07 pm -0800 03/12/02, Paul Berkowitz wrote:

>On 12/3/02 1:41 PM, "Jack Jansen" <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com> wrote:
>
>> Cross-platform is out of the question with Cocoa, though. If that is
>> important to you you'll have to wait for either MacPython-OSX 2.2 or
>> MacPython-OSX 2.3, both scheduled to go to alfa in another month. (The
>> difference is that 2.2 will build on the Apple's pre-installed
>> /usr/bin/python).
>
>Jack,
>
>Didn't you say on your website that MacPython-OSX 2.3 would be "uniting" the
>Apple pre-installed version with MacPython? (What does "uniting" mean?)
>Presumably that would be for a later version of OS X - OS 10.3 perhaps?
>
>Is there any chance that MacPython-OSX 2.2 would give Python scripters more
>versatility in writing Python without I exceeding what users with the
>standard 2.2 install have for running the resulting scripts? Or is that what
>might come with 2.3?

As far as I can see there very little extra in 2.3 that is not in
2.2.x. My advise to you would be to learn as much Python as you can and
you will find that unless you want to interface with specific
applications, or use apple only features such as finder aliases, you
won't need to use the apple event modules.

--

Bill Bedford

He said no more is no less than it is
if in the future we live in the past