[Pythonmac-SIG] Creating MacBinary files from python

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 23:50:51 +0100

On donderdag, dec 5, 2002, at 21:05 Europe/Amsterdam, Chip Brown wrote:

> I need a way to create Stuffit compatible zip files from within
> python. My experimentation indicates that a Stuffit created zip file
> is a collection of MacBinary files, zipped up.
>
> I should therefore be able to create a Stuffit compatible zip file
> from within python (which has built in zip support) as long as I can
> get the MacBinary versions of the included files.
>
> Does anyone out there knows of a python module (that actually works)
> which can create and disassemble MacBinary files, I would LOVE to know
> about it. There are such things for PERL and TCL, but I have not been
> able to find a python version...

I started on a macbinary module years ago, but it never got finished. I
remember that I got stuck because there were somethings in the
MacBinary format that made it non-trivial. (The format is
well-documented, a google search should turn it up).

If you do write something up yourself: please contribute it. It would
be a handy module to have,
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -