[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: How long until OS X Python is ready for primetime?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker@noaa.gov
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 09:13:07 -0800

David Eppstein wrote:

> Yep.  Heck, I know of non-senior-cit computer science professors without
> fast home connections.  Sometimes there are higher priority things to do
> with that $50/month...

Quite true. As a developer, one has to decide how much to prioritize a
small distributable vs. easy of development. for the original poster,
the question of whether he wants to support other platforms is a
critical one. For just OS-X, pyObjC and Cocoa is probably the best bet.
For cross platform development, he's going to need another tool.

By the way, PyQT may be worth taking a look at. I don't know if they
have an OS-X port yet, but it certainly should be doable if it hasn't
yet been done.

As for wxPython, the wxWindows libaries are pretty darn big (the main
library on Linux is about 4MB). However, there is a whole lot of stuff
in that library, much of which a particular app is probably not using.
There has been talk of splitting it into separate libraries, just for
this reason. If I was using wxPython (which I am) and was concerned
about distribution size (which I'm not) I'd look into helping with that
effort.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov