[Pythonmac-SIG] How long until OS X Python is ready for prime time?

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 21:44:25 -0800

At 11:51 -0800 12/3/2002, David Eppstein wrote:
>My specific situation is as a
>developer of a large genealogy program (in C++, for Classic MacOS) that I
>would like to make native for OS X.  This requires a massive rewriting of
>code and it's beginning to look like it might be easier to start over from
>scratch in a friendlier programming language.
>
>In order to do this in Python, I would need:
>- OS X native look and feel
>- Easy download and installation by computer-challenged senior citizens
>(e.g. standalone app with gzipped download size < 2Mb, no installation of
>other packages or complicated command lines)
>- Transparent input and display of accented characters
>- Multiple windows mixing multi-font text and vector graphics,
>with ability to capture mouse click location within window

The village heretic says:

Given the current state of things Python, and that fact that you're
starting from not-Python, you *might* want to give a thought to RealBASIC.
(After doing so, you might well return to Python for the project, of
course.)

More $$$ (I've forgotten what they do for academic folk).
Cross platform as long as you mean Mac and Windows (which your audience
suggests you do).
Simple install, but large download.
Does GUI well on both platforms.  Last I knew, still did that old "dead"
Mac OS 9 in addition to Mac OS X--and 9 is what the Mac part of your
audience likely has.
http://www.realbasic.com/

While one can now develop on Windows, that side is young...you probably
still want to develop on Mac and deploy to Mac and Windows.  Anyone know?

I haven't been keeping up with RealBASIC...I'm not at all sure I'll
"deserve" an upgrade price when I finally have time to play again.  But
I'll accept one.  ;-)

  --John (who grew up in Pasadena when Irvin was rather less than it is now)

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA