[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter support for Carbon - I give up.

Larry Meyn lmeyn@mail.arc.nasa.gov
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 15:06:53 -0800

At 11:18 PM +0100 2/10/02, Jack Jansen wrote:

>That, however, means I want to put an earlier issue back to the
>vote: should MacPython 2.3 be Carbon-only or both classic and
>Carbon? People overwhelmingly voted for Carbon-only in December, but
>that was when Tk support under carbon still looked possible.
>
>There is a third possibility: that MacPython 2.3 has limited support
>for classic PPC: a ClassicPythonInterpreter only, no support (or
>limited support) for a classic IDE and other goodies. This will mean
>that IDE development can go fully Carbon and not be hampered by
>classic, while people who want to run occasional Tkinter scripts can
>still do so.

I see three MacPython 2.3 options which I'll number:

Option 1: Carbon Only

Option 2: Carbon & Classic

Option 3: Carbon & Interpreter Only Classic

I would vote for #1.  If I need Tk, I can run 2.2 Classic or earlier.
And this frees up Jack's valuable time.  If people really feel they
need Python 2.3 and newer features along with Tk support, maybe
option 3 if it is not too much of a burden on Jack's time.

Larry Meyn
Aerospace Operations Modeling Office

M/S 210-10                      Phone:  (650) 604-5038
NASA Ames Research Center       FAX:    (650) 604-0222
Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000    email:  lmeyn@mail.arc.nasa.gov
                                 E-FAX:  (425) 944-5526 sent via e-mail