[Pythonmac-SIG] why the recompile?

Christopher Smith csmith@blakeschool.org
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:24:33 -0600

Hello,

I am trying to get an installation distributed on a set of iBooks for a
course.  I ran compileall on my own installation, copied that to the
master server disk and from there it gets copied onto the individual
iBooks.  The hope was to avoid having to recompile every time a new
session is started.  (Even though the recompile is done, the installation
is restored to the original set during shutdown of the computer.)

Here's the problem:  when the IDE starts up it recompiles a bunch of
files.  For example, codeop.py (created July 18,2001 and modified Aug
19,2001) is recompiled even though the existing codeop.pyc in that
directory has the creation and modification dates of Feb 7, 2002.  There
are 68 files in all that are recompiled, located in lib; mac/Lib;
Mac/Tools/IDE; and mac/lib/carbon.

Why is this recompiling and what can I do to avoid this?  The .pyc's date
is more recent than the .py's.  I confirmed this with the stat() function
as well and can see that the time of modification matches that which I see
on the file in the Finder.  The IDE itself (if it matters) was created at
6:43 pm on 2/7 and the codeop.py file at 11:32 am)

/c