[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter support for Carbon - I give up.

Dan Grassi dan@grassi.org
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:14:09 -0500

On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 02:43 PM, Martin Miller wrote:

> I'll also have to size up Jython and try to figure out what the
> ramifications of using it might be on the other work we've already done.

Using Jython for GUI apps and python for non-gui apps is really like
using two different languages with great similarities but subtle and
substantial differences as well.

Perhaps instead of Jython just using SWING from standard python ala
import swinginter.  It would seem that much more is known about
interfacing with Java than interfacing with TK and in the latter case
getting TCL involved as well.  Java SWING is a fuller GUI which is
understood and used much more widely than TK.  Also on the Mac OS X
there is great support for java in Interface Builder which might well be
leveraged.  On OS < X there is at least AWT.  IMHO this is a better bet
than leveraging Interface Builder and Cocoa which is totally Mac
specific.

Is this possibly doable?

Dan