[Pythonmac-SIG] A newbie wonders about GUIs

Peter H. Froehlich pfroehli@ics.uci.edu
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:05:54 -0800

Hi!

On Wednesday, February 13, 2002, at 12:55 , Chris Lumsargis wrote:

> Presently, I am learning Jython for my GUI needs. In learning it,
> I have noticed certain similarities between Jython's Java swing
> interface and the coding used for wxwindows, and Tkinter for that
> matter.

A lot of GUI frameworks are based on similar ideas, many of which
basically originated in Smalltalk and its "model-view-controller"
approach.

Although I have not really tried hacking GUIs in Python yet, it
seems to me that one of the better approaches is the AnyGUI project

   http://anygui.sf.net/

which allows you to use a number of different technologies behind
one abstract interface. Maybe you want to take a look at that?

Peter
--
Peter H. Froehlich []->[!]<-[] http://nil.ics.uci.edu/~phf/