[Pythonmac-SIG] Finding MacPython After Fink Install

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:53:20 -0800

At 15:39 -0800 2/14/2002, Dan Shafer wrote:
>I installed Fink on OS X and downloaded, among other things, Python.
>But I have scoured my system to find out where Fink (I guess that
>means the Debian installer) put the stupid thing. I find all the
>files, but not the executable. Asking find, whereis, or locate to
>help produces no results.

whereis searches the directories in your path.  Clearly, Python didn't get
placed there (we know the location from other responses now).
echo $PATH
will show what has been searched.

Locate uses a database which is built by the weekly cron task, so something
new won't be reported by it until after that has next run after the new
thing arrived.  Whether the code which builds the database will look in /sw
(which I don't have) I don't know.  Ah...locate.updatedb takes in this
parameter:       ---searchpaths
                    Sets the list of directories to be put in the database.
So you need to look in /etc/weekly.  On my machine, I find that parameter
unused in the call to locate.updatedb  YMMV (and perhaps will, since Fink
has probably arranged to include /sw).

  --John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA